Tacoma Arts Challenge
Win prizes by attending arts events this fall. Scroll down for more information.
Tacoma Arts Month is dedicated to showing off the very best about our community. October is brimming with hundreds of arts and culture events, exhibits, and workshops for all ages. There is something for everyone to enjoy: music, dance and theater performances; hands-on experiences; visual art exhibits; literary readings; lectures; workshops; film screenings and cultural events.
Enjoy culture. Explore Tacoma. Connect with your community.
Image 1: Tacoma Arts Challenge, courtesy of Dr. Jamie Brooks. Image 2: Arsenio Hall, courtesy of Broadway Center. Image 3: Visiting Artist David Huchthausen at Museum of Glass, photo by Lloyd Shugart. Image 4: Make Your Own Pumpkin Paperweight, courtesy of Museum of Glass. Image 5: AMOCAT Arts Award, artwork by Chandler O’Leary. Image 6: Tacoma Studio Tour, courtesy of City of Tacoma.
Tacoma Arts Challenge
Share Your #TacomaArts Experience – and Win!
Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- Mary Letterman – Gold Ticket
- Alex Alexander – Silver Ticket
- Chantell Muñoz – Bronze Ticket
- Take a selfie at each Tacoma arts event you attend this October
- Post using #TacomaArts and mention the name of the event
- Be instantly entered to win one of three fabulous prize packages
Gold Ticket: Spend a night on the town enjoying a cultural experience, dinner, and an overnight stay in Tacoma. Includes: 2 tickets to the Tacoma Symphony Orchestra, 2 tickets to The Grand Cinema, 2 Tacoma Museum District passes, $75 gift certificate for Pacific Grill, and a night at the Hotel Murano.
Silver Ticket: Spend the day steeped in culture; enjoy complimentary admissions and lunch. Includes: $25 gift certificate at the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, 2 tickets to the Tacoma Concert Band November 20 performance of Saxy featuring Erik Steighner, 2 Tacoma Museum District passes, and a $25 gift certificate for The Swiss.
Bronze Ticket: Continue your arts exploration with complimentary and discount passes. Includes: $25 gift certificate at the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, 2 tickets to The Grand Cinema, 2 tickets to the Puget Sound Revels Christmas Revels performance, Children’s Museum of Tacoma Gingerbread Jamboree ticket (family of four with one house), and a $20 gift certificate for Hotel Murano Bite Restaurant.
Sponsored by the Arts & Culture Coalition of Pierce County: Asia Pacific Cultural Center, Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, Buffalo Soldiers Museum, Children’s Museum of Tacoma, Classical Tuesdays, Fife Historical Society, Foss Waterway Seaport, Hilltop Artists, Job Carr Cabin Museum, Lakewood Historical Society, Museum of Glass, Points NE Historical Society, Puget Sound Revels, Second City Chamber Series, Steilacoom Historical Society, Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma Concert Band, Tacoma Historical Society, Tacoma Little Theater, Tacoma Opera, Tacoma Symphony Orchestra, Tacoma Youth Symphony, The Grand Cinema, University Place Historical Society, Washington State History Museum
Subscribe and find out about the many arts and culture events happening this October.
‘Like’ the Tacoma Arts Commission on Facebook.
Download the ‘Tacoma Arts Month’ Android app.
Tacoma Arts Month Opening Party
Start Tacoma Arts Month off on the right note with a kaleidoscope of entertainment including:
- Life-sized kaleidoscope installation by Tinkertopia
- Contemporary dance by the Barefoot Collective
- Cultural dance performances from Hawaii and Korea by Asia Pacific Cultural Center
- Music by Champagne Sunday
- Exhibit of Wayzgoose steamroller prints
- Multi-media art exhibits by Christopher Paul Jordan, Tiffanny Hammonds, Matanofo Porter, Denis Maina, Saiyare Refaei, Jorge Garcia, and Kristin Giordano
- Poetry by Tacoma Poet Laureate Cathy Nguyen
- Film screenings by The Grand Cinema and Spaceworks Tacoma
- Hands-on art making with Tacoma Art Museum
- Interactive photo booth with Metro Parks Tacoma
- Corn-in-the-hole game with The Grand Cinema
- Juggling by Saylor Purtle
- Cirque and aerial performances by Vuelta la Luna
Enjoy appetizers and no-host bar while we honor the 2016 AMOCAT Arts Award winners and funding recipients. It’s all free and open to the public – pack up the family, invite your friends and come help us celebrate! Presented by the Tacoma Arts Commission and Spaceworks Tacoma; hosted by Asia Pacific Cultural Center. Event Sponsors: NW Stage, Artist & Craftsman Supply, The Grand Cinema.
2016 Call for arts activities and events
Submissions accepted on a rolling basis
The Tacoma Arts Commission is seeking submissions of arts activities happening during our 15th annual Tacoma Arts Month this October. We are looking for a variety of activities spanning all categories of art and culture including but not limited to music, visual art, literary art, dance, theater, and film.
If you will be hosting an exhibition, performance, class, workshop, reception, lecture, tour, artists’ market, celebration, meeting, presentation, or any other programming, let us know. We will list your arts event in an interactive and searchable online calendar of events on TacomaArtsMonth.com. There is no cost to you. We will be promoting the many events going on throughout the month through newspaper and magazine advertisements and articles, email newsletters, television ads, radio ads, and through a variety of social media outlets.
To qualify: Your arts activity must be located within the City of Tacoma limits and occur during the month of October.
To have your event listed:
- Fill out the online Tacoma Arts Month Activity Submission form. Note: If you are submitting multiple events, please fill out a form for each event.
- (optional) Email a digital photograph to be used for promoting this event to firstname.lastname@example.org. Image must be at least 150 ppi. Please put “Activities_Your Event Name” in the subject line.
Questions: Contact Naomi Strom-Avila at email@example.com or (253) 591-5191.