ARTISTS IN FOCUS
Monday, September 14, 2020, 11:59 PM
Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 11:59 PM
What is Artists in Focus?
Artists in Focus is a new virtual platform to showcase Tacoma-based creatives during Tacoma Arts Month 2020. This platform will replace the annual in-person Tacoma Studio Tour, which is not feasible this year due to the global pandemic.
Artists in Focus invites creatives working in all disciplines to help us increase the visibility of the arts by providing an opportunity for the public to connect to their work virtually through the sharing of short videos or digital images. Shared videos and images will help the public understand the creative process, see how and where artists create their work, and demonstrate the breadth of creative talent in our community.
Examples of video content can include but are not limited to:
- Music, dance, or theatrical performances
- Demonstrations of how to use a particular tool or material of your creative practice
- Informative tour of your workspace, studio, or rehearsal space
- Behind-the-scenes look at your creative practice
- Instructions for a simple make-at-home artistic project
- Artist talk about some of your creative work
- Creatives selected for Artists in Focus will be featured throughout the month of October in email newsletters, social media posts, and a dedicated page on the Tacoma Arts Month website, which will include videos and digital image samples as well as artists’ bios and contact information. There is no cost to participate in Artists in Focus.
Submissions will be accepted on a rolling basis through September 30, 2020 but submissions received by September 14, 2020 will be prioritized.
Staff will make the final determination about what submissions to feature through Artists in Focus with an eye on diversity of the artists and artistic disciplines featured, quality of the art, quality of the digital work sample, and appropriateness for general public viewing. People who are members of historically disenfranchised racial, ethnic, cultural, and other identity groups are strongly encouraged to submit work.
Tacoma Arts Month 2020: Cultivate Wonder & Care
During this unprecedented year, as we face economic, health, and racial equity crises, we invite creatives to consider how they can share a message of care and compassion with our community. Participating in Artists in Focus is one way to do this.
Tacoma Arts Month 2020 is a care package to our community, offering sustenance for the spirit as well as modeling and encouraging care for each other in thought and action. Arts and culture invite us into a space of wonder, curiosity, and creativity, where we can imagine possibilities, encourage questions, engage in discourse, and spark insights. Let’s cultivate wonder and care in the heart of these challenging times.
- You must live within the City of Tacoma limits and/or your working studio, workspace, or rehearsal room must be located within the City of Tacoma limits. A studio, workspace, or rehearsal room is defined as a location where your artwork is created on a consistent basis.
- Content must be appropriate for viewing by a general audience.
Eligible artists interested in this opportunity can participate by filling out the submission form and attaching the following items via Submittable https://tacomaarts.submittable.com/submit:
Digital sample of your work:
- Preferred Method: One digital video file or URL link to a video. Video should be short, ideally under 2 minutes in length. Videos do not need to be professionally produced or edited; videos created on cell phones are acceptable.
- Acceptable Method: Three high quality JPEG images showcasing your artwork.
If selected, we will use the digital sample in materials produced for Artist in Focus.
- Submit a short (70 words of less) artist statement or bio which describes your work.
For assistance, please contact Chevi Chung at (253) 591-5171 or email@example.com.